Keeping up-to-date with licensing and registration, made easy…
The Belize Tourism Board (BTB) understands the critical role that the accommodations sector plays in providing overnight travellers to Belize with unmatched Belizean hospitality and comfort.
Accommodations Licensing ProcessAt a glance look of the Application Process for Hotel License
Get the facts about licensing with us…
The Licensing of accommodations insures that the said property has been certified to operate under the Laws of Belize.
All accommodations in Belize must meet tourism industry quality standards and meet the requirements set forth in the Hotels And Tourist Accommodation Act, Chapter 285 of the Laws of Belize Revised Edition 2011 and the Hotels And Tourist Accommodation Act, Chapter 285S Of The Laws Of Belize Revised Edition 2003.
Licensing commences, following the completion of the registration process.
- Application for a Hotel Registration and Accommodation license is to be submitted online via [email protected]
- Please submit all the following documents in the Application checklist below together with the online application form (signed). As of 1st November 2022, the Belize Tourism Board no longer accepts incomplete application submissions.
- Completed Application Form
- Ownership Land Title, Conveyance or Other
- Business Name Certificate of Registration
- Certificate of Incorporation, Memorandum of Association and Article of Shares
- Certified copy of Certificate of Good Standing from Companies Registry
- Central Building Authority – Occupancy Certification (every 4 years)
- Department of Environment – Environmental Clearance
- Fire Department No Objection Report
- Public Health Standards Inspection
- Food Establishment Certification (if the property has a restaurant)
- Trade License Certificate from Town Board (if located in town/city)
- Letter of Support from Village Council (if located in village)
- Liquor License (if the property sells alcohol)
- Emergency Preparedness Plan
- Social Security Board Registration Record
- Owners Passport Particulars
- Letter of Appointment & Authorization for the Manager
- Residency of Work Permit for Foreigner (Managers only)
- The Management Entity’s Rental Agreement
- Declaration of Service Charge Scheme
- Pictures of the Overall Facilities (1 front, 1 back, 1 office, 1 room)
- Ministry of Trade and Investment – Gaming License.
- Rental Space Inventory Form
- Quality Assurance Inspection
- Application Fee
- Vetting & Processing of Completed Application Documents – 2 to 3 weeks
- Thereafter minimum of 4 weeks from the pre-opening inspection date
1. A pre-opening inspection will be carried out to ascertain the hotel/ property is ready for operations. Checks will include, but are not limited to:
- Furniture and fittings in most rooms
- Clearly visible hotel frontage & signage
- Reception counter or area for receiving guests
2. Processing of the application will take a minimum of four weeks from the pre-opening inspection date.
3. You will be informed via e-mail if your application has been approved.
4. After the application has been approved, you will receive an email to that the License will be ready after 5 business days.
5. The Hotel Registration and Accommodation License should be displayed in a conspicuous place, preferably at the Reception Counter of the hotel.
(i) Hotel – $25.00 plus $5.00 for each room
Note: Since the license is valid for 2 years the charge per room becomes $10.00
As tourism stakeholders, your partnership is important to the continued growth of our Belize tourism industry.
The Belize Tourism Board (BTB) is legislated by the Laws of Belize to collect and manage tourist accommodation tax. This 9% tourist accommodation tax is used to effectively and efficiently fulfill the BTB’s mandated operations for sustaining, marketing and developing Belize’s tourism industry.
Hotels and Tourist Accommodations are required to collect this 9% tax from each guest, on behalf of the Government of Belize. This tax is then paid to the BTB.
For any questions related to Hotel taxes feel free to contact Mr. Stanley Francis, Senior Tax Auditor, at email: [email protected] call us at 227-2420.
For any additional queries about this process, please contact our licensing team at [email protected] or by telephone: 227-2420.
NOTE: Please email completed Accommodation application form to [email protected]
Hotel FormsClick on the below to download forms.
Catering to the overnight tourist sector of Belize; hotels play a vital role within the growing tourism industry.
BTB Accommodation Application Form
Tourism Gold Standard Application Form
Standard Operating Procedures Template
Accommodation Agency Contacts & Process Flow
Registration Form for New Developments
Account Modification Request Form
Hotel & Tourist Accommodation Regulations
Hotel and Tourist Accommodation Regulations-Fifth Draft
Hotel & Tourism Accommodation Act CH 285
Hotel & Tourism Accommodation Act CH 285 Showing the Substantive Laws as at 31st May, 2011.
Registration and Regulation of Timeshare Accommodation in Belize.
Hotels & Tourist Accommodation Act CH 285 Subsidiary Laws
Hotel & Tourism Accommodation Act CH 285 Showing the Subsidiary Laws as at 31st October, 2003.
Making your transition to living abroad that much easier.
Making your stay a memorable one…
In the same way there are many things to do here, you’ll find optional places to stay.
With everything from luxury resorts, family-friendly hotels, vacation rentals, condominiums, guesthouses, campgrounds and live-aboard vessels, the choices and preferences are catered to the individual traveller.
On the shorelines of the Caribbean coast or near mystical Maya sites, each location in Belize offers unique places to stay. There are accommodations to suit everyone, from adventure seekers, divers, beach vacationers, eco-tourists, family groups, honeymooners and more.
For any additional queries about our directory, please contact our licensing team at [email protected] or by telephone: 227-2420.