Tour Guides are an essential part of Belize’s tourism industry. They undergo rigorous trainings and examinations, for certification through the Belize Tourism Board (BTB) licenses. Contact us at [email protected] to learn more about starting your career as a tour guide and to find out when the next training will take place.
Tour Guide Application ProcessAt a glance look of the Application Process for Tour Guide License
- Application for a Tour Guide license is to be submitted online via [email protected]
- Please submit all the following documents in the Application checklist below together with the online application form (signed). As of 1st November 2022, the Belize Tourism Board no longer accepts incomplete application submissions.
- Completed Application Form (signed and dated)
- Recommendation Letter from Tour Guide Association
- Original Valid Police Record
- Original Medical Certificate* from a Registered Medical Practitioner (dated within 3 months from date of submission)
- Copy of Valid CPR/ First-Aid Certificate/card from a recognized provider (BERT, Red Cross, PADI and any other verifiable accredited instructor)
- Copy of valid Dive Master or Dive Instructor card from recognized dive institutions (PADI, NAUI, SSI,TDI, etc.,) if the applicant conducts diving and/ or diving related activities
The licensing process can take up to four (4) weeks for New Applicants and two (2) weeks for renewals.
To avoid being unlicensed for any period of time please come in to our offices at least (4) weeks prior to the expiration date.
Any Tour Guide who fails to complete the entire renewal process by July 31st, and continues to operate will be deemed as operating unlicensed and illegally.
Faded licenses are replaced free of charge.
- Submitting all of the required documents and information does not automatically guarantee a Tour Guide license.
- All licenses expire on the 31st of July of each year and are to be renewed annually.
- The Tour Guide Committee reserves the right to revoke licenses if the holder breaches any conditions set out in Chapter 275S of the Laws of Belize.
Note: As per the Belize Tourism Board (Tour Guides) Regulations, it is an offence to operate without a valid Tour Guide License and a person or persons found guilty of said offence is/ are liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding five thousand dollars or to imprisonment for a period not exceeding six months, or to both such fine and period of imprisonment.
- The BTB must be informed in writing of any changes to the information provided or if the Guide discontinues being a Tour Guide.
- Payment of BZD $75.00 license fee. A receipt is NOT a license neither can it be used as such.
Payment of BZD $75.00 license fee. A receipt is NOT a license neither can it be used as such.