- September 12, 2019
- Posted by: Perry Bodden
Capacity Building & Sustainable Tourism Manager
The Capacity Building & Sustainable Tourism Manager has a dual role which requires interfacing with both trainers, training institutions, and members of the conservation sector in Belize. The individual is responsible for analyzing the training needs of the industry consistent with the National Sustainable Tourism Master Plan (NSTMP) and subsequently identifying training modules that adequately address those needs. The individual will play a critical link in liaising with the relevant NGO and conservationauthorities to ensure that the promotion of Belize’s vulnerable natural and cultural resources is integrated into training programs and tourism policies aimed at fostering sustainable development in the sector.
- Analyze current tourism training being offered in institutions countrywide and recommend quality-based improvements geared at improving training programs.
- Identify and organize training needs of the industry as it relates to new standards being enacted by the BTB.
- Partner with the Belize Bureau of Standards to advance the development of standards for the tourism sector countrywide.
- Work closely with other BTB officers to ensure that new training modules address training needs identified across departments.
- Work with ‘Trainer Pool’ to consistently upgrade training modules focusing on continuous professional development.
- Plan and execute ‘Train the Trainer’ sessions.
- Manage and maintain positive and effective relationships with industry partners and stakeholders to ensure training needs are met.
- Liaise with Tour Guide Associations country wide to promote trainings, policies, other programs and foster a cooperative relationship with the TGAs.
- Represent and advocate for tourism management reform at tertiary levels.
- Effectively administer recurrent training and new training for tour guides, tour operators, accommodations, and hospitality sector.
- Develop and expand the platform of sustainable development in existing BTB tourism policies and programs.
- Work closely with members of the NGO and conservation sector to develop relevant sustainable tourism training.
- Build sector awareness and knowledge on international and regional sustainable tourism practices.
Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience
- MINIMUM SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree in Sustainable Tourism, Natural Resources Management, Hospitality, Tourism Management, or other related field.
- At least 3 years’ experience in delivering effective pedagogical practices.
- Familiarity with sustainable tourism trends and challenges.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Excellent public relations and interpersonal skills.
- Strong project management and organizational skills.
- Ability to multi-task and consistently meet deadlines.
- Ability to take initiative in suggesting ways to augment work and responsibilities of the position.
- Should be goal oriented and capable of working with limited supervision.
- Ability to speak and write in Spanish is preferred.